Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

skilltrainingltd League Division One369
Tuesday 25th August 2009 Whitley Bay V Bishop Auckland 7-0
Whitley Goalscorers : Hodgson22,77, Bell29, Johnston33p,55p,57 and Chow89

Photo Gallery Available

Bay Team
1Kindley, Tom
2Moore, Chris60 mins
3Reid, Chris
4Hodgson, Richard
5Coulson, David
6Ryan, Leon
7Fawcett, Chris60 mins
8Anderson, Callum
9Johnston, Adam64 mins
10Bell, Phil
11Robinson, Paul
12Chow, Paul60 mins
13Kerr, Lee60 mins
14Picton, Lee64 mins

Match Report By Julian Tyley

Whitley Bay produced a superb display of attacking football as they completely overwhelmed a poor Bishop Auckland side at Hillheads on Tuesday evening. Adam Johnston scored a hat trick; there were two goals from Richard Hodgson, while Phil Bell and Paul Chow were also on target as Whitley recorded their biggest ever victory over the once illustrious Bishops.

Back in the 1950’s Bishop Auckland reached the FA Amateur Cup Final six times, winning the trophy, the predecessor of the FA Vase, three years in succession at the old Wembley Stadium.

Sadly, the last few years have proved difficult for the County Durham side and some of their fans arrived at Hillheads fearing a heavy defeat. However, none of them could have imagined that their side would be so outclassed and concede seven goals.

Ian Chandler rang the changes for this game, with Adam Johnston and Phil Bell in the starting line up while Lee Kerr, Paul Chow and Craig McFarlane were on the bench. The signs were looking good for Whitley as early as the seventh minute when the visitors failed to clear the ball and Hodgson could only watch as his effort rolled along the line and just past the post.

Chris Fawcett then raced clear down the left and his cross saw Chris Moore fire just over the bar. It was then Moore’s turn to show his pace down the opposite wing and this time, his cross was met by Adam Johnston who turned and shot into the side netting.

It seemed only a matter of time before Whitley would score and the opening goal duly came in the 22nd minute when good work by Moore and Johnston set up Richard Hodgson. His first shot struck a defender but he was quick to react and he hammered the rebound into the bottom corner of the net, giving keeper Peter Jeffries no chance.

Seven minutes later it was 2-0 when Robinson’s right wing corner was knocked out as far as Hodgson at the edge of the penalty area. He quickly fired the ball back towards goal where Phil Bell’s glancing header sent the ball beyond Jeffries into the top corner.

Whitley were in complete control and four minute later, Chris Moore set off on a tremendous run from the halfway line. He ghosted past several defenders and with others backing off it looked as if he might go all the way but just outside the area he played the ball out to the unmarked Adam Johnston. Jeffries rushed out and brought Johnston down. It was a clear penalty but the referee deemed that the trip only merited a yellow card so the keeper was allowed to remain on the pitch. Johnston stepped up to take the penalty and cleverly chipped the ball high over Jeffries into the top left hand corner of the net. Three goals ahead Whitley threatened with every attack and Johnston might have scored again just two minutes later but his shot was saved at the second attempt.

Paul Robinson was tantalising opponents with close ball control and with Fawcett and Moore causing havoc down the wings there was little respite for the Auckland defence. One of Robinson’s pieces of trickery gave Fawcett a chance but his header went wide and the half ended with Whitley three goals ahead.

There had been little threat from the visitors but Gavin Parkin had battled well and soon after the break, he pushed forward, turned inside the area and fired a shot which went wide of the Bay goal. Back came Whitley and once again Moore teased overstretched defender Liam Clough who in desperation tripped the winger as he closed in on goal. It was another undisputed penalty and this time, Johnston struck a low shot into the corner of the net. Two minutes later, a great challenge in midfield from Callum Anderson saw the ball run through to Johnston who from 15 yards drilled a low shot past Jeffries to complete his hat trick, his first since returning to Whitley back in March.

A minute later Fawcett’s excellent cross from the wing found Bell, whose header was narrowly off target.

On the hour, with the game clearly won, Ian Chandler took off both wingers; Fawcett and Moore but there looked to be little encouragement for the beleaguered visitors, with Kerr and Chow taking to the field. A few minutes later, Picton replaced hat trick hero Johnston and for a while, Bishop Auckland came more into the game. After Phil Bell’s header was pushed over the bar by Jeffries, the visitors had their best spell of the game but Kindley and his defenders dealt with everything that Auckland could muster. Thirteen minutes from time, it was 6-0 when Hodgson got his second of the evening following good build up play involving Picton and Bell. Three minutes later, Kindley ensured that Whitley’s clean sheet sequence would be maintained when he made a great diving save to deny Parkin even a consolation goal for his side.

The entertainment for the excellent midweek crowd of 369 was not over yet. Paul Robinson, spotting the keeper off his line, tried to replicate Adam Johnston's long range goal attempt at Wembley with a shot from just beyond the halfway line but Jeffries managed to get back and save it without the help of the crossbar. Defenders David Coulson and Leon Ryan both pushed forward attempting to add their names to the list of scorers but in the end it was perhaps inevitable that Whitley’s final goal, just a minute from time, would come from Paul Chow. Despite only being on the pitch for the last half hour, he maintained his position as leading scorer with a close range header after Robinson had chased a through ball towards the left corner flag and crossed into the goalmouth.

This seventh goal was sufficient to send Whitley to the top of the table, if only briefly, on goal difference from West Allotment. With a 100% league record and having scored 11 without conceding a single goal, Whitley’s start to the season could hardly be better and they will go into Saturday’s tough FA Cup tie at Newcastle Benfield with confidence high.

WHITLEY BAY: Kindley, Moore(Chow 60mins) Reid, Hodgson, Coulson, Ryan, Fawcett(Kerr 60mins), Anderson, Johnston(Picton 64mins), Bell, Robinson.