Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

Northumberland Senior Cup 2nd Round209
Wednesday 25th November 2009 West Allotment Celtic V Whitley Bay 1-3
Whitley Goalscorers : Bell4, Robinson38 and Moore42

Photo Gallery Available

Bay Team
1Burke, Terry
2Timmons, Darren
3Reid, Chris
4Hodgson, Richard
5Coulson, David
6Ryan, Leon
7Moore, Chris
8Robson, Damon
9Bell, Phil77 mins
10Chow, Paul70 mins
11Robinson, Paul60 mins
12Waite, Mark60 mins
13Picton, Lee70 mins
14Kerr, Lee77 mins

Match Report By Julian Tyley

Whitley progressed to the semi finals of the Northumberland Senior Cup thanks to an excellent first half performance against West Allotment Celtic on a cold and breezy night at Whitley Park.

An early goal from Phil Bell set them on their way and by the interval they were 3-0 ahead, leaving the home side little chance of getting back into the game.

Good performance last night, we started very very well and possibly could have had 3 goals in first 5 minutes, had to settle for 1 though, great cross by Moorsey and just as good a finish from Belly.
Both Chris Reid & Moore were flying in the opening stages and delivered numerous crosses in to the box.
WAC came in to the game for 15 -20 minutes midway through the 1st half, but we regained control and score another 2 good goals, first being from a great through ball by Hodgy which found Chowie who shrugged off his defender and crossed for Robbo to first well at the far post. The third goal was a little more individual when Chris Moore latched on to a through ball and lobbed the advancing goalie from 25 yards, excellent goal.
The second half we looked like we were at half pace, allowing WAC plenty of time on the ball, which resulted in them getting their goal.
I introduced a young lad called Mark Waite who is only 18/19, I was a little apprehensive however he performed very well and didn't look out of place, in fact I think he probably stood out as our better players during the final 25 minutes of the game, well done to him and he'll be involved on Saturday v Penrith.
All in all a decent performance, not great, but we did the job and now look forward to semi final draw, obviously hoping for a home draw (Blyth or NUFC) for our awesome fans to enjoy.
Terry Burke was back in goal and Darren Timmons started in place of the injured Callum Anderson but these were the only changes from the side that won down the road at Newcastle Benfield four days earlier.

Whitley were quickly on the attack and after just four minutes Phil Bell rose above the Allotment defence to head home a cross from the right by Chris Moore. This was his third goal in successive games and it gave Whitley just the start they needed. Four minutes later, Paul Chow broke through and nearly added a second but his shot was pushed wide by keeper Chris Bannon. Whitley kept up the pressure and after Moore’s shot rebounded off the keeper, Chow was unlucky to see his effort smothered by Bannon at point blank range.

The home side were contributing to a fast flowing game but Timmons, Coulson and Ryan were looking strong at the back and it was not until the 23rd minute that Allotment came close to equalising when a shot flew inches past the post although Burke looked to have the ball covered. Just past the half hour Whitley had the ball in the net again when Chow tapped home a cross from Moore but the goal was ruled out due to an offside flag being raised.

With the benefit of the stiff breeze at their backs, Whitley pegged Allotment back in their own half and Damon Robson’s cross almost produced a goal but this time Bell’s header lacked power and was comfortably saved. The second goal was not long in coming however and with 38 minutes on the clock Chow again burst through but stumbled as he went past the last man. He managed to regain his foothold and advanced into the penalty area, crossing the ball to the far side of the box where Paul Robinson drilled a low shot into the net to double Whitley’s advantage.

Four minutes later the game was virtually over as a contest when Chris Moore spotted the keeper off his line and cleverly lobbed the ball into the net from some 20 yards out on the right. Surprisingly this was Moore’s first competitive goal of the season and it was richly deserved.

The second half was always likely to be something of an anti climax with Whitley only needing to contain their opponents to ensure progress to the semi final. Shortly before the hour, Leon Ryan came up in support at a corner and got his header on target only to see it cleared off the line by Daniel Hall.

Ian Chandler took the opportunity to bring on one of the promising reserve team players, Mark Waite, for the last half hour to give him a taste of first team football and he showed some good touches in midfield and attack.

Aided by the wind, the home side were having more of the ball and they pulled a goal back when Paul Gardiner beat Burke from ten yards out. They continued to battle away but Whitley’s defence held firm and 13 minutes from time, a fourth goal almost came when Moore’s cross-cum-shot flew across the face of goal as Bell and Waite both raced in but neither could quite get the vital touch and the ball ran out of play.

Lee Kerr replaced Bell for the last few minutes and threatened to cause problems for the tiring Allotment defence with his close ball control. Seven minutes from time, a cross from the increasingly impressive Chris Reid saw Richard Hodgson produce a diving header that Bannon did well to hold. A goal for Hodgson would have been a just reward for another strong display from the hard working midfielder.

All in all this was a well deserved win from a well organised and hard working Bay side who have now won their last four games. As ever, the travelling support turned up in large numbers, easily outnumbering the home fans.

WHITLEY BAY: Burke, Timmons, Reid, Hodgson, Coulson, Ryan, Moore, Robson, Bell(Kerr 77mins), Chow(Picton 70mins), Robinson(Waite 60mins)

Substitutes not used: Kindley, McFarlane

Referee Mr P Curry