Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

skilltrainingltd League Division One421
Saturday 28th November 2009 Whitley Bay V Penrith 5-1
Whitley Goalscorers : Chow48,59,64,90+1p and Moore90

Photo Gallery Available

Bay Team
1Kindley, Tom
2Fawcett, Chris34 mins
3Reid, Chris65 mins
4Hodgson, Richard
5Coulson, David
6Ryan, Leon
7Moore, Chris
8Robson, Damon
9Bell, Phil
10Chow, Paul
11Robinson, Paul73 mins
12Timmons, Darren34 mins
13Waite, Mark65 mins
14Picton, Lee73 mins
15Kerr, Lee
16McFarlane, Craig

Match Report By Julian Tyley

A devastating second half display by Whitley Bay swept away the challenge of a strong Penrith side who in the opening period had matched Whitley all the way and looked capable of earning at least a draw. It was Paul Chow who took the honours, scoring four goals including a hat trick in just 16 minutes, but the entire Bay team excelled during a dramatic second half.

Whitley started strongly and less than a minute into the game, Penrith defender Wayne Robertson had to head the ball behind when Chris Moore sent a dangerous looking cross into the goalmouth. A minute later Chris Fawcett raced clear down the left wing before whipping the ball across goal, but keeper Andrew Wills collected the ball safely. The game settled down as both sides battled for supremacy and Tom Kindley, back in the Bay goal, had to make a low save to keep out a shot from Martyn Coleman. Penrith maintained the pressure with Coleman providing Dean Douglas with an opening and the former Whitley winger almost gave the Cumbrians a 13th minute lead but his volley flew just over the bar.

Whitley responded with Fawcett playing a short ball to Paul Robinson who turned and drove a low shot through a packed defence but it lacked power and Wills made a comfortable save. Penrith fought back and midfielder Willie Paul was not far wide with a shot after the ball was only half cleared by the Bay defence. After the visitors had striker Dan Robinson booked for a foul on Chris Reid, Whitley created an excellent chance when Fawcett broke away down the wing and sent over a pin point cross to Paul Chow, whose header failed to test the keeper. Fawcett, back in the side after a three match absence through injury, was substituted two minutes later as a precautionary measure after suffering a reaction when crossing the ball. Douglas and Coleman in particular were keeping the Whitley defence on their toes with pacy running and accurate passing as they broke from midfield, but Coulson and Ryan, now with Timmons in support, were giving little away.

A strange game for Chowie to say the least, he worked hard during the first half but looked well off the pace, things were bouncing off him and he looked sluggish.

Now the second half, he scored his first out of nothing after 3 or 4 minutes, then went quiet again only for him to score a great goal racing away from the defence and shooting past the Penrith keeper. His third was nice to see, Chowie in the right place at the right time collecting the rebound and smashing into the net. His fourth the penalty was the icing on the cake.

Just before that a great ball from young Waite (thanks Gav, another excellent product from the reserves) in to Mooresy who controlled and shot within seconds blasting the ball high in to the net from 30 yards.

Over all a solid performance with some excellent football the second half.
The visitors were also defending strongly but Robertson became the second Penrith player to be cautioned following a foul on Phil Bell. An attack by Whitley shortly before the interval saw Chris Moore cut in from the right and run from midfield before unleashing a shot that was only just off target. However, half time arrived with the game goal less and the sides seemingly well matched.

The second half was barely three minutes old, and some fans were just emerging from the bar when Chow set Whitley on their way with his first goal. It came when he held off the challenge of a defender as he broke through on goal and calmly slotted the ball through the keeper’s legs from about six yards out. Penrith captain Mark Jones, who was struggling against the pace of Moore was booked probably as much out of frustration as anything else and this was symptomatic of the rest of the game as far as the Cumbrian side were concerned. One minute before the hour, with Penrith pushing men forward and battling hard to get back in the game, the ball was cleared out of the Bay defence and Chow latched on to the clearance. He raced away downfield before drilling a great shot past Wills into the far corner of the net. During his recent lean spell, this is the sort of opportunity that he would have put the wrong side of the post but with his confidence restored it was only another five minutes before he completed his hat trick. This goal came after Wills had blocked a close range effort but when the ball rebounded, Chow gleefully lashed it home before celebrating in front of the fans who were packed behind the goal.

Whitley Bay Fan Richard Clarke gave us his thoughts after the match

Chowy stole the day with a brilliant individual second half performance giving Bay an emphatic win after a goalless first half. Penrith are a well organised, strong side, but Chow’s clinical finishing was the difference between the two sides, without which the game might have been a closer run affair.

Apart from Chow, the midfield again stood strong, with Robbo looking as solid as any recent game, and Hodgy again putting in a huge shift. The young lad Waite again had a good solid game, playing his part in the fourth goal with an excellent cross field ball for Moore – he seems to have good vision, and a decent touch on the ball, and looks like a real prospect for Whitley.
Credit due also to Belly, who despite going goalless, never stopped working, and as the game progressed, slipped easily into a more out and out winger role on the right, causing real problems with his pace, and accuracy. Overall, this was an excellent performance, and an outstanding result.
Penrith were rocking and after an evenly contested first half, the game was now looking decidedly one sided. Chow might have added a fourth goal but for a point blank save by Wills, then Jones had to head the ball off the line from a corner as Whitley lay siege to the Penrith goal. A dipping shot from the impressive Hodgson was only just too high as Whitley kept up the pressure. Leon Ryan then sent a glancing header beyond the far post. Phil Bell was getting through a tremendous amount of work and now operating on the right wing was stretching the Penrith defence to breaking point with some great running and crosses into the goalmouth.

Six minutes from time, Penrith pulled a goal back when substitute Michael Brown squeezed a shot from out on the right inside the near post. The goal took everyone, including it seemed the Penrith team, by surprise, but momentarily, encouraged by this success, they stepped up the pace but failed to trouble Kindley.

Instead, it was Whitley who had the final say with two late goals. The first, from Chris Moore, came in the last minute of normal time and it was a real beauty, one of the best seen at Hillheads this season. After receiving an excellent ball just outside the left edge of the area from sub Mark Waite, Moore, who scored his first goal of the season at West Allotment three days earlier, got his second with a superb 20 yard effort that flew past Wills into the top corner of the net.

In the first minute of stoppage time, Chow was impeded by Penrith’s Philip Thornton as he brought the ball into the left corner of the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot. Chow, who could now do little wrong, took the penalty kick himself and comfortably beat Wills for his fourth and Whitley’s fifth goal of the game. In the remaining minutes of added time, Whitley continued to pour forward in search of more goals and it came as a relief to the Penrith side when the referee blew the final whistle.

The cliché a game of two halves was never a more appropriate description than on this occasion and the representative of FA Vase opponents, Boldmere St Michaels, who witnessed the contest, will have been left with plenty to contemplate ahead of next Saturday’s cup tie.

Whitley’s second half display saw every player make a real contribution, with Robinson, Hodgson and Robson working tirelessly and youngster Mark Waite again looking a very good prospect.

WHITLEY BAY: Kindley, Fawcett(Timmons 34mins), Reid(Waite 65mins), Hodgson, Coulson, Ryan, Moore, Robson, Bell, Chow, Robinson(Picton 73mins)

Substitutes not used: Kerr, McFarlane

Referee Mr J Hunt