Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

FA Vase Quarter Final662
Saturday 1st March 2008 Hungerford Town V Whitley Bay 0-1
Whitley Goalscorers : Robinson48

New : View Gallery of this game here Photo Gallery Available

Bay Team
1Burke, Terry
2Taylor, Mark65 mins
3Picton, Lee
4Rowe, Brian
5Coulson, David
6Woodhouse, Tony
7Minto, Mark75 mins
8Robson, Damon
9Kerr, Lee
10Chow, Paul
11Robinson, Paul80 mins
12Dugdale, Andy65 mins
13Moore, Chris75 mins
14Graham, Christian80 mins

Match Report By Peter Fox

Whitley Bay moved into the last four of the FA Vase after a tight 1-0 over Hungerford Town of the Hellenic league. In a scrappy game spoiled by the wind Bay had Paul Robinson to thank for the goal but it was the defence and especially keeper Terry Burke who got them there in the end.

The first half had very few chances with Hungerford probably just having the better of them through young striker Charlie Austin. However, it was Bay that created the first real opportunity after 18 minutes. From a Robinson corner Anthony Woodhouse got a flick on and Lee Kerr put an acrobatic effort over the bar.

Paul Chow nearly capitalized on a short backpass but Dominic Green in the Hungerford goal just got to the ball ahead of him.

Mark Minto was causing the home defence some problems too and when he got a cross in Graham Edney cleared the ball just ahead of Lee Picton.

Robinson and Kerr both saw Green collect shots, if not particularly comfortably but as the game wore Hungerford came more into it and Burke was forced to block a good shot from Austin and then he did well to hold onto a shot at the first time from the young striker a couple of minutes later.

Just before half time David Coulson headed over after a good flick on by Chow but it looked like it was going to take something special to break the deadlock.

The special moment arrived just two minutes into the second half when Chow held off a couple of challenges on the right wing and played the ball inside to Robinson. His great first touch took him beyond the first defender and then he lashed the ball into the bottom corner from around 15 yards giving Green no chance.

It was similar in some ways to the goal at Seaham last week

Austin was again looking the main threat for the home side and Minto cleared off the line before Burke collected the ball.

The Bay keeper was soon in action again from Steve Davis but as the game approached the last quarter of an hour Hungerford really cranked up the pressure. Sub Paul Powell shot wide from a good position but in the final two minutes Burke produced two magnificent saves. The first was the pick of the bunch as Austinís header seemed destined for the top corner but Burke somehow tipped it over the bar. Moments later he tipped a shot from Toby Clark over the bar too. At the final whistle there were great celebrations between fans and players. After the match manager Ian Chandler admitted that the team hadnít played as well as they can and he hadnít enjoyed the game but ďif anyone had offered me a scrappy 1-0 win before the game I would have taken itĒ he added. In cup games like this it the result is the be all and end all and if we get to Wembley the manner of this win won't matter.

Howay the Bay!

Bay: Burke, Taylor (Dugdale), Picton, Rowe, Coulson, Woodhouse, Minto, (Moore), Robson, Kerr, Chow, Robinson (Graham)

Bay have been drawn against Lowestoft Town from the Eastern league in the two-legged semi final. The first leg is at Lowestoft on March 22nd with the return at Hillheads on March 29th