Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

Arngrove Northern League Division One125
Saturday 8th March 2008 Bishop Auckland V Whitley Bay 0-2
Whitley Goalscorers : Robinson41 and Kerr42p

New : View Gallery of this game here Photo Gallery Available

Bay Team
1Burke, Terry
2Taylor, Mark
3Douglas, Dean
4Rowe, Brian
5Picton, Lee80 mins
6Graham, Christian
7Moore, Chris
8Robson, Damon
9Kerr, Lee
10Minto, Mark75 mins
11Robinson, Paul65 mins
12Smith, Brian80 mins
13Porter, Dean75 mins
14Coulson, David65 mins

Match Report By Peter Fox

Bay sealed this win with two goal s in the final few minutes of the first half. They then squandered a few more chances in the second and could have been made to pay as Bishops came into the game late on.

Whitley made some changes with Coulson and Chow on the bench for this one. Anthony Woodhouse and Andy Dugdale were both carrying knocks and missed out all together.

Bay opened the game controlling possession in awful condition with a howling gale and rail lashing the Dean Street ground. Peter Keen in the Bishop’s goal was forced to save at the feet of Mark Minto in the opening moments.

Bay continued to keep the ball well and Paul Robinson shot wide from a good position and then Chris Moore hit a cross shot wide after latching on to a poor clearance by Keen after he was put under pressure by Minto.

In a rare Bishop Auckland attack a cross from Gavin Parkin was just too far ahead of Carl Chillingsworth but in the main it was Bay who had mastered the conditions and the home side were on the back foot. Dean Douglas saw a shot deflected over the bar and then Kerr played Minto in and his cross was just too far ahead of Douglas.

Keen produced a fine save from a Robinson shot after Douglas had cut the ball back to him and then Minto was denied by some frantic defending as Bishops started to feel the pressure.

The breakthrough cam e after 41 minutes when Robinson gave Keen no chance with a shot from 20 yards that fairly flew into the top corner. Only a minute later the lead was doubled when Paul Crager was judged to have fouled Moore in the box and Kerr sent Keen the wrong way from the spot.

Conditions improved in the second half but it was still Bay doing all the pressing with Douglas shooting just wide after twisting past two defenders, then Chris Graham having a “goal” disallowed for offside after tapping home Minto’s cross.

Keen produced another fine stop tipping a Douglas shot over the bar just after the hour mark before Bishops had a chance to get back into the game but Chillingsworth shot wide from a good position.

With 20 minutes to go Kerr missed a golden opportunity when he headed wide with the goal at his mercy from a Moore cross, then two minutes later Minto played Douglas in down the left and his cross was shinned onto the post by Moore and then the danger was cleared.

Moore played in Minto and although he got the ball over Keen he also cleared the crossbar and by this stage Whitley should have been out of sight. Bishops staged a mini rally in the last 15 minutes of the game with Parkin shooting wide from a good position then the same player shot straight at Burke after another promising move from the home side but it was too little too late. Whitley could have had the last word when Graham curled a shot just wide and then Douglas and Graham got in each others way when either could have side footed the ball home.

Bay: Burke, Taylor, Douglas, Rowe, Picton (Smith 80), Graham Moore, Robson, Kerr, Minto (Porter 75), Robinson (Coulson 65)