Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

Arngrove Northern League Division One173
Tuesday 11th March 2008 Whitley Bay V Washington 5-2
Whitley Goalscorers : Coulson6, Chow47,61, Robson55 and Douglas71

Bay Team
1Burke, Terry
2Taylor, Mark
3Douglas, Dean
4Smith, Brian
5Coulson, David
6Graham, Christian60 mins
7Moore, Chris
8Robson, Damon80 mins
9Chow, Paul72 mins
10Minto, Mark
11Reay, Darren
12Livermore,Robbie60 mins
13Dugdale, Andy80 mins
14Porter, Dean72 mins

Match Report By Peter Fox

A goal blitz early in the second half sealed the points for the Bay but despite the shoreline this game wasn’t without its anxious moments.

Washington’s recent problems have been well documented (main sponsors pulling out) but despite this they started off brightly and Peter Watling shot straight at Terry Burke in the opening moments.

As if to heed this warning Bay took the lead after only six minutes when David Coulson powered home a header from A Damon Robson free kick.

Steve Wilson tipped a Minto shot round the post as Bay picked up and shortly afterwards Paul Chow hit a 25 yarder just wide.

Chow and Dean Douglas combined to give Minto a shooting opportunity but his shot effort was deflected over the bar.

Robson was next to create a chance when he disposed a defender but he elected to pass to Chow when he probably should have had a go himself. More of Damon later though!

Chris Moore was getting some joy down the flanks but although Minto headed one of crosses narrowly wide at this stage the home side weren’t capitalising on their possession.

They were nearly made to pay when Bradley Brooking disposed Coulson and he should have done better than firing wide of the target. Bay came close again with Douglas just off target and then Chow producing a brilliant turn and shot with Wilson denying the striker with a fine tip over the bar.

Brooking again came close for the visitors just before half time when he failed to convert a right wing cross again failing to hit the target so Bay went in one goal to the good at half time.

The feeling was that if Whitley could get a second they would get more and this was borne out by a blistering start to the second half.

After only 47 minutes Chow thumped home a header from a Moore cross and this settled the home side down. Then, ten minutes into the second half a collectors item. A Damon Robson goal! Both Robson and Chris Graham were foiled by Wilson before Robson blasted the ball home from close range to the delight of the home fans.

At three up Bay were cruising and they were four up after 61 minutes when a Moore cross was flicked into the patch of Chow who slotted the ball home.

Nine minutes later Washington pulled a goal back when Burke spilled a long distance shot and Dean Critchlow was on hand to tap home the rebound.

As if offended by this, Whitley made it 5-1 straight from the restart when Douglas fired home another Moore cross. Bay looked like they would score every time they went forward with both Chow and Moore going close to adding to the goal fest. However the only other goal came with practically the last kick of the game when Pewter Watling’s shot ended up in the net via a deflection.

Bay: Burke, Taylor, Douglas, Smith Coulson, Graham (Livermore), Moore, Robson (Dugdale), Chow (Porter), Minto, Reay.