Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

Arngrove Northern League Division One270
Saturday 15th March 2008 Whitley Bay V Morpeth Town 2-1
Whitley Goalscorers : OG1 and Chow16

New : View Gallery of this game here Photo Gallery Available

Bay Team
1Burke, Terry
2Taylor, Mark
3Douglas, Dean
4Rowe, Brian
5Coulson, David
6Graham, Christian62 mins
7Moore, Chris
8Dugdale, Andy68 mins
9Chow, Paul
10Kerr, Lee79 mins
11Woodhouse, Tony
12Livermore,Robbie62 mins
13Robson, Damon68 mins
14Minto, Mark79 mins

Match Report By Peter Fox

Whitley beat Morpeth for the third time this season but it was a tough battle with all the goals coming in the first quarter of the game.

Paul Robinson and Lee Picton were missing from the 16 man squad with injuries but Lee Kerr and Brian Rowe were both available.

Bay got off to a flier with a goal in the first minute when a Dean Douglas free kick was deflected into his own net by Chris Phillipson.

Before Bay could think about building on this stroke of fortune, Daryll Hall had equalised for the visitors, shooting home from 15 yards after the Bay defence stood off him.

Douglas and Anthony Woodhouse both came close to restoring Bay’s lead with shots just off target and Ian Herron came close at the other end but the vital second goal went Bay’s way after 16 minutes.

Chris Moore’s cross picked out Paul Chow who rose high above the Morpeth defence to plant a header past Poskett .

After a frantic opening the game settled down and there few real chances for either side in the rest of the half. Douglas shot wide for Bay and Chow was unlucky to see his flick from a Chris Graham corner hit the bar but Bay maintained their narrow lead at half time.

Morpeth came close at the start of the second half with Paul Willary shooting just wide from the left edge of the penalty area. Despite plenty of possession Whitley couldn’t get the insurance of a third goal and Morpeth came close again When Damen Mullen’s cross was headed over when he should have at least forced Terry Burke into action.

With just over 20 minutes to go Chris Moore latched on to a long ball from Brian Rowe but shot just wide of Poskett’s goal. Bay kept up the pressure and sub Damon Robson put Moore in again. His cross picked out Douglas who got in a shot that forced a great save from Poskett. Poskett again denied Douglass a few minutes later and then came the reminder that Morpeth weren’t out of it when a scramble in the Bay penalty area resulted in the ball being hacked clear.

Morpeth came close to getting a point in the last minute when ex Bay player Kevin Henderson got a good shot in on the turn which was well held by Burke and Bay held on for a vital three points which keeps them just in touching distance of Durham.

Bay: Burke, Taylor, Douglas, Rowe, Coulson, Graham (Livermore), Moore, Dugdale (Robson), Chow, Kerr (Minto), Woodhouse.