Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

Albany Northern League Division One117
Saturday 3rd May 2003 Whitley Bay V Morpeth Town 2-0
Whitley Goalscorers : Scroggins16 and Ludlow74p

Match Report By Peter Fox

Whitely finished tenth in the league after this win, and leaves league champions Brandon as the only team to do the double over Bay this season.

Paddy Little was back in the side after a spell at Blyth with Lee Ludlow and Chris Taylor starting up front and Michael Crammond in goal.

Ludlow shot narrowly wide in the opening couple if minutes but the game was relatively uneventful until Ludlow created a chance for Lee Scroggins but the Bay midfielder poked the ball wide. Bay took the lead after 16 minutes when Scroggins was put through after good play from Little and Ludlow and he finished confidently past former Bay keeper Neil Fairbairn from 10 yards.

Whitley were playing with confidence and Walton flashed a shot just wide following a flowing move only moments later. Crammond was called into action after 23 minutes doing well to parry a shot from Mark Jewitt over the bar. Whitley responded with Ludlow's shot being deflected from a corner and from the dead ball kick a good cross from Kevin Walton was met by Danny Anderson but the Bay defender was just off target.

Chris Taylor created and opening for himself but the Morpeth defence managed to clear it at the expense of another corner from which Mark Fenwick fired wide. Bay had two opportunities to double their lead at the end of the first half when Taylor was just off target with a header from a Little cross then Ludlow should have done better than to shoot wide after a quickly taken free kick.

Whitley appeared to be denied a penalty when Ludlow had his ankles taken when clean through on goal and then after 54 minutes a six yard Scroggins shot hit the bar from a Ludlow cross.

Whitley were nearly made to pay for missing these chances when a speculative shot from Paul Blakey just missed Crammond's far post.

Bay made three substitutions in quick succession with Ian Dixon, Lee Clark and Scott Blandford coming on for Scroggins, Taylor and Fenwick respectively.

Another penalty appeal was turned down when Blandford was fouled but Morpeth weren't so lucky when handball was given against Iain Nickalls after 74 minutes and Ludlow scored calmly from the spot. Blandford fired just wide with ten minutes remaining then Dixon saw his effort from a Ludlow pass cleared for a corner before Blandford nearly had the last word with a rasping drive which flew narrowly wide of the post.

Bay: Crammond, Little Walton, Anderson, Melrose, Dugdale, Fenwick (Blandford 66), Scroggins (Dixon 59), Ludlow, Taylor (Clark 58), Boon.

Not Used: Hay, Burke