Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

Arngrove Northern League Division One237
Saturday 12th April 2008 Whitley Bay V Spennymoor Town 1-1
Whitley Goalscorers : Robinson22

New : View Gallery of this game here Photo Gallery Available

Bay Team
1Burke, Terry
2Taylor, Mark
3Picton, Lee63 mins
4Woodhouse, Tony
5Coulson, David
6Graham, Christian
7Moore, Chris
8Dugdale, Andy72 mins
9Kerr, Lee
10Chow, Paul81 mins
11Robinson, Paul
12Douglas, Dean63 mins
13Livermore,Robbie72 mins
14Robson, Damon81 mins

Match Report By Peter Fox

Bay were held to a 1-1 in an entertaining game with Spennymoor town at Hillheads.

Lee Kerr was presented with an award for scoring 100 goals for the club, on the pitch before kick off.

Once the game was underway it was Town who created the first chance with Richie Storr heading just wide from a Jamie Clarke cross.

Whitley responded with a Paul Chow header from a Chris Moore cross which was deflected straight into the hands of Town keeper Niki Lawson

Town continued to press and a Clarke shot was deflected for a corner. Clarke took the corner himself and Graham Robinson got on the end of it to power a header past Terry Burke to give Spennymoor the lead after 15 minutes.

Whitley hit back with Paul Robinson firing just wide and then Kerr having a shot deflected away for a corner, but Storr came close for Town at the other end, producing a great turn to get in a shot which went just over the bar.

After Lee Picton had put an effort over from six yards, and Paul Robinson shot wide from 20 yards Bay equalised after 23 minutes. A Moore cross appeared to be handled in the area but the referee only gave a corner. From the dead ball kick the ball was worked out to Paul Robinson who curled a shot into the net off the post from around 22 yards for his 16th goal of the season.

The rest of the half produced few chances with Karl Richards firing over for Town and a Chow header being disallowed for a push in the penalty area, possibly rather harshly.

Terry Burke dealt with a couple of long range shots at the start of the second half before Bay sub Dean Douglas saw a shot deflected just wide.

As the game swung from end to end Storr was just off target with a low shot before David Coulson headed just wide from a Paul Robinson free kick.

A Moore cross went straight across the Town six yard box without anyone getting a touch and then the Town defence managed to get a Paul Robinson cross scrambled away with Mark Minto posed to tap in.

Town nearly regained the lead shortly afterwards when Clarke headed against the post

With six minutes to go Minto challenged Lawson for the ball which broke to Kerr but he blazed over, before a move involving Minto, Kerr and Douglas saw the latter’s shot blocked by Lawson’s leg before being scrambled away.

For all Bay’s pressure they nearly fell to a sucker punch as Gareth Wait e fired over from a good position in the last minute.

Right at the death Moore tried to tee up Minto who could only shoot over when Moore possibly should have tried for goal himself.

Bay: Burke, Taylor, Picton (Douglas 63), Woodhouse, Coulson, Graham, Moore, Dugdale (Livermore), Kerr, Chow (Robson), Robinson.