Ludus Est Omnis  Whitley Bay Football Club

Arngrove Northern League Division One227
Tuesday 29th April 2008 Whitley Bay V Durham City 2-1
Whitley Goalscorers : Chow21 and Minto27

New : View Gallery of this game here Photo Gallery Available

Bay Team
1Burke, Terry
2Rowe, Brian
3Minto, Mark
4Woodhouse, Tony
5Coulson, David
6Dugdale, Andy55 mins
7Moore, Chris
8Robson, Damon
9Kerr, Lee
10Chow, Paul65 mins
11Robinson, Paul53 mins
12Graham, Christian55 mins
13Picton, Lee65 mins
14Taylor, Mark53 mins

Match Report By Peter Fox .. sorry it's a bit late...

So when all is said and done it was a third placed finish. But Bay signed off with a cracking game against the newly crowned champions in a great advert for Northern League football.

Whitley created the first chance when Paul Chow set Damon Robson up but he poked the ball straight at John Mohan in the Durham goal.

Durham responded through John Toft, who had already proved a handful for Whitley when he was playing for Seaham. He nearly opened the scoring for the evening but his shot was deflected against a post, before Terry Burke was called into action to save from Tommy English at the expense of a corner.

It was Whitley who opened the scoring after 21 minutes when Mark Minto who must be the most improved player of the year put a cross in from the right which Chow flicked home from close range.

Lee Kerr fired just wide from 20 yards moments later but Bay doubled their advantage after 26 minutes when Minto picked up a cross field pass on the right edge of the penalty area and let fly giving Mohan no chance, a terrific strike.

Durham were rocking now and Chow was just off target from a Chris Moore cross but Bay should have wrapped the points up after 38 minutes. A poor clearance from Mohan Ė allegedly a lady blowing a horn put him off, well it would wouldnítí it-went straight to Kerr, he outstripped the visitors defence and although his shot beat Mohan it crept wide of the post Ė a real let off for Durham.

This seemed to give Durham heart and Toft was just off target with a lob before Terry Burke produced a magnificent save to deny Steve Richardson who got on the end of a Stephen Harrison cross.

Durham got themselves right back in the game with the last action of the half. A free kick was blazed in and although Burke managed to block it he couldnít stop Richard Smith (I think) from scrambling it home. Straight from the kick off the referee blew for half time.

Early in the second half Whitley had a good shout for a penalty turned down as Kerr broke through. He got a shot away but looked to be pulled back in the area but the ref was having none of it.

Manager Ian Chandler brought on Mark Taylor for Paul Robinson and Chris Graham on for Andy Dugdale as the game swung from end to end.

Keith Graydon curled a free kick wide from distance before Chris Moore fizzed in a low 20-yarder that had Mohan beaten but smacked against the post on 63minutes.

Brian Rowe who had been made captain for the night amid speculation that this might be his last game for club produced a delightful back heel pass into the path of Damon Robson but Mohan tipped his shot over. David Coulson came close with a header and Minto had a shot deflected for a corner. From the corner the ball broke to Kerr but he put it over the bar from close range.

As Bay tried to finish in style a great ball from Graham set Moore away. Graham got on the end of his cross but the ball was cleared.

Bay: Burke, Rowe, Minto, Woodhouse, Coulson, Dugdale (Graham 55), Moore, Robson, Kerr, Chow (Picton 65), Robinson (Taylor 53).

Well thatís it for another season and thatís from me for a while. Iím having a break from match reports and press stuff next season. Just going to the match and watching without writing for a change. Hope youíve enjoyed the reports over the last few years.